Monday, November 15, 2010

Stiving

Today, my boys watched Finding Nemo. The intention was for me to sleep through the whole thing, but alas, my nap was again interrupted. So, I laid in bed trying to muster up a good mood for a few minutes and watched a bit of the movie. I watched the part where Dori and Marlin are in the whale headed for Sydney. I realized it was a perfect picture of striving vs. resting in the Lord.

Both little fish were headed for the same place, being carried by something much larger than them - who new exactly where he was going.

Marlin, the clown fish trying to find his son, was beating against the inside of the whale. When he was not beating against the one carrying him, he was laying in his helplessness and self-pity...beating himself up.

Dori, the forgetful little blue fish, was enjoying the ride. What joy and pleasure she gained from her ride with the whale. When Marlin asked her how she new something bad wasn't going to happen she replied...'I don't.'

None of us are guaranteed tomorrow...let alone a comfortable, well planned tomorrow. Are we fighting against the One carrying us, or are we enjoying the ride - trusting that when the next bad or challenging thing comes our way we will recieve the help and grace needed to get through and draw closer to Jesus?


3 comments:

  1. Wow.. That was profound and good.. Touched my heart.. definitely something I needed to hear today. Thanks, sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. love me some nemo! well stated, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! What a great word picture you've painted. I think the next time I find my heart thrashing about, I'm going to ask myself "Are you acting like Marlin, or Dori? Who's the big whale?"

    ReplyDelete